Monday, January 4, 2010

Lesson Help

I was asked to teach a lesson in Church, and loosely given the topic "Proclaim the Gospel". First of all, I don't like it very much when I'm not given lesson material. It's hard for me to come up with my own direction. I started thinking about how I could present this lesson in a way that the class wouldn't immediately turn off their minds, thinking "just another lesson on missionary work." I struggle with teaching engaging lessons that are interesting. At least that's how I feel about them.

Anyway, so I just started reading some talks and other resources, and my lesson changed from 'missionary work' to 'the atonement'. As I kind of finished up my lesson, I looked back and thought, "how did it end up so different from the original topic?" and it hit me like a ton of bricks: I had help. Even though I didn't recognize it during the preparation phase, it was clear to me when I looked back.

And let me tell you, that just boosted my confidence. I'm not the most dynamic teacher, but when you have that kind of help preparing the lesson, you have to figure you've got a good start.

And the best news? I didn't totally screw it up in the delivery.

No comments: