Thursday, January 21, 2010

Getting Old?

Okay, so I've been doing some things differently lately and I had a sudden thought this morning: "Am I getting old?"

A little history:
A couple of months ago, my wife and I had a conversation about speeding. I'll leave it to you to interpret the *reason* we had the conversation...

Anyway, so the conversation turned to the whole safety factor. I appreciate conversations like that because they help me look at things differently. I realized that it's not worth speeding when you weigh it against ALL the factors (not just the cost of a speeding ticket). So since then, I've made HEAVY use of my cruise control and just go the speed limit. Do my commutes take longer? Not really. Do I panic a little and look at the speedometer every time I see a police car? Not anymore.

I've also been listening to church stuff during some of my commutes (things like church magazine articles, conference addresses, etc). It represents an effort I have been making to try to be closer to spiritual things. When I turn that off, though, lately I've been gravitating to talk radio. I switched the station in my car this morning to a talk radio station and thought: "Am I getting old?" I'm not very old. I don't feel old (well, most of the time, anyway). I don't think I *look* old. (Although I'm sure that's debateable.)

So as i write this post, I'm thinking that I'd like to give these things a positive spin. Like maybe these are signs of maturity or wisdom. I'm sure that's the reason.

At least that's my take on it.

I can live with driving the speed limit and listening to talk radio. What's next, though? Cardigan sweaters?

1 comment:

Tiffany McAlister said...

You go there, and we'll be sure to have an intervention! Down with the cardigans!!