Monday, January 4, 2010

Learning From The Comics

Since it's a new year, Rhoda and I had the obligatory conversation about New Year's Resolutions. I think goals in general are great, and they are a great way to improve yourself, and I am very understanding about the timing of the new year being a good time to start a goal. People need a starting or launching point. However, that being said, I expressed my view about how it would be much better to not have to wait for calendar to try to improve yourself. If midday on July 13th, you realize that you want to change something about yourself, you shouldn’t wait until the new year, you should start now. I realize I was also kind of playing devil’s advocate in that conversation (sometimes it worries me that I play that role so easily!). I don’t really think that Rhoda appreciated my comments, though. She wasn’t arguing that people should wait until New Year’s to make a goal for improving themselves, but that it is a good time to reflect on things and figure out what you can do better.

Anyway, so I’ve made a couple of rather personal goals, mostly relating to my spiritual self, but I have also been kicking around a couple of other ideas for goals, but I haven’t actually officially set them as goals. I don’t really know what that’s all about. Maybe there’s a part of me that doesn’t really want to commit to them.

Now, on another topic (It’ll make sense, I promise!) I just love the comics. They are great. It is the only section of the newspaper that I read pretty regularly. As I was reading the comics today, I ran across Frazz, which happens to be one of my favorite comic strips. Here it is:

Frazz

I just about laughed out loud. It’s made me do a little more thinking about what I will say when I have any other conversations about new year’s resolutions, that’s for sure.

1 comment:

Rhoda said...

Holy Cow...that comic strip is PERCECT! Love it!