Monday, September 13, 2010

Utah State Fair!

So we have made a tradition of going to the state fair EVERY year. Our kids absolutely love it. We usually make a big loop around the fair. There are a few must-see items on the list.

This is usually how it goes. First, to the The Amazing Butter Cow (Aunt Debbie does an amazing job on it every year!), and then up and around to Little Hands on the Farm. The kids love it. They get to feed and milk a (fake) cow. They get to plant a (fake) seed and pick the (fake) fruits and vegetables. They get to brush a (fake) sheep and a couple of other things too. At the end they get to pick a treat (a small bag of chips, a string cheese, a little thing of milk, and they have a few other things too). Anyway, then we almost always ride the big yellow slide. Not sure if Rusty will again. He said afterwords something to the effect: "That ride is not fun!" After that, we will usually then go ride a couple of other rides, and then walk through to see all the sheep, cows, pigs, and goats on our way out. I also thought I'd mention that I just about ALWAYS run into someone I know at the fair, which is kind of weird because it's such a big place and there are so many people there. Crazy.

Oh, and I think I'll take this opportunity to admit that I am a people-watcher. I find other people fascinating. Especially when they don't appear to be just normal, every day people. Don't you just wonder what some people are thinking (or maybe obviously NOT thinking) when they say something or dress a certain way? I know I do. Truth be told, the fair is a great place for people-watching. I'm not saying that EVERYONE that goes is totally abnormal. I mean, WE go (oh wait, that probably doesn't help my arguement). But there seems to be a very high percentage of the weird ones at the fair.

So as we went to the fair, I was looking forward to a bit of this people-watching, expecting some good entertainment (the state fair hasn't failed me yet in this department). Imagine my surprise, then, when the tables were turned and I occasionally caught people staring at ME when I walked by. I would think "You've got it backwards, buddy - I should be staring at YOU." At first, I was a little weirded out. Then I realized that they were trying to read what it said on my shirt before I passed them. HAHA! I was wearing one of my "funny" shirts. I love it. It reads, "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how AWESOME I AM" (I love it cause it true, right? Cause I'm awesome like that, right? RIGHT?!). Yeah, so that's why they were staring. And maybe it was the shoes too.

Of course, so I wondered how many times other people have worn shirts with sayings on them that I stared at long enough to read, and wondering if people thought later "why was that weird guy staring at me?" Oh well. I'll have to watch that.

Anyway, we had a great time. It's fun to have traditions. And in keeping with that tradition, on the way home, just like always, the kids said "Goodbye Utah State Fair! See you next year!" Indeed.

1 comment:

Rhoda said...

Rusty said: "Mom, I told you that Ride is NOT fun!" Oh and that's my favorite kind of farming...fake farming! You forgot the pony rides, we've never done that one before. It took Rusty a few minutes to get semi-comfortable!