Monday, June 21, 2010

Vacuuming...And it didn't suck!

I know what you're thinking. Your first thought was "Wow, two posts in two days!" Yeah, don't let that fool you. I just happened to have some stuff to write about for two days in a row. Also, sorry about the lame joke in the title. At least I make myself laugh.

So a couple of weeks ago, there was an announcement in Church: "We need at least 15 volunteers to help clean the temple on June 21st from 11pm until 1am." I chuckle as people start groaning about how late that is, and how they have to get up early for work the next day and stuff. It doesn't really sound late to me. The only question that crossed my mind is "Do I have any deadlines the next day (at either job) that might cause me to need to work extra late that night?"

I didn't, so I signed up. It's something I've never done before. It sounded like a great experience, and I'm sure that having these assignments is what keeps the temples so clean and nice.

So June 21st came. Now, anyone that knows me, knows that I am almost always late for everything. I don't know what it is but I just can't seem to get places on time. We were supposed to be there at 11. I actually got to the temple at 10:50, which gave me plenty of time to get changed (they have white scrubs to wear while you clean) before 11. I sat there in the chapel in the baptistry, just thinking about the temple, and how I don't go nearly as often as I would like to go. I also had this great memory of me and my friends in high school, in that very same room, when we would get to the temple at like 5am, sometimes every week for weeks at a time, to do baptisms for the dead, and what a cool experience that was for me as a teen. I looked around and saw all sorts of people from our ward. I think there were about 20.

It was simple. They divided us into groups and assigned us to a worker. It only makes sense, but I had no idea that there are employees who clean the temple late at night, and we're there to assist. I got the assignment of vacuuming a certain area and mopping a couple of floors. Even the vacuum was quiet in the temple. I was working pretty much by myself, and it gave me the chance to just think about the temple. It's a pretty neat place. I'm not saying that I had a vision or anything tonight, but I will say that I felt the Spirit, and I have no doubts that it is the House of God. Where else can you feel the Spirit of the Lord while vacuuming?

1 comment:

Rhoda said...

It seems like a such a neat thing to do! Although not at midnight...I did enjoy sleeping while you were vacuuming!