Monday, April 12, 2010

Light at the End of a Looooong Tunnel...

So at my work, I've been working on a bunch of projects. Looking back on the last 18 months or so, I can honestly say that I'm really proud of a lot of things I've accomplished. There have been some major changes and updates that I have made, and some of the things I'm doing have had a positive effect on the whole company.

The reason I bring it up, is because about 18 months or so ago, I got asked to start working on a HUGE project. Now, when I say huge, I mean it is extremely involved and there have been tons of changes and revisions. At one point they said, "Oh, there's actually going to have to work two completely different ways, depending on what kind of user it is." Then they said, "Oh, both of those different processes are going to have to work completely differently depending on how they got there". (yeah, if you're counting, that means I have FOUR similar-but-not-the-same versions) Then they added extra stuff to it. Then they tried out a prototype and it worked great, according to what they originally told me, but it just wasn't going to do everything they needed it to do. So while I've been working on all those great things I mentioned earlier, this project has been "on my plate" as one of the higher priorities (obviously not the HIGHEST priority, but it is one of those things that we talk a lot about). If I had a dime for every time I heard the question "So, how's that project coming", asking about this particular project, man, I'd have a lot of dimes.

Anyway, so hopefully I've set up the situation for you well enough to understand why this thing has been on my mind a lot. Well, tomorrow, I am not just releasing it to our internal employees (who will probably yawn when I show them because they have seen it many times, used it, and added on to it), I'm releasing it to the world of users of our website. It's been a VVVEEEERRRRYYY LLLLOOOONNNNGGGG time coming.

Of course, with that being said, there is still a wish list about a mile long relating to add-ons or enhancements to this project (people can think of a lot of those in 18 months!), so I'm sure this is not the last I'll see of it, but the basic project is for all intents and purposes....DONE.

Sheesh.

2 comments:

Rhoda said...

This is the project that never ends...yes it goes on and on my friend! Some people started thinking it not knowing what it was and they'll continue adding to it, forever just because..this is the project that never ends....

That's cool! Congrats.

Steph H said...

CONGRATS!!!! That always feels so good!! I'm sure it's awesome.