Monday, February 22, 2010

Quicksand

So I was listening to an article on my way to work the other day, and it used the phrase "opposing quicksands of boredom and excessive stress". That phrase really stuck out to me, so I got to thinking about it a little more, so I thought I'd share.

Why quicksand? I think we can all imagine quicksand. I have been most fortunate (as I'm sure many people have) to not have ever run across any, but I thought I'd explore that for a bit.

(DISCLAIMER: everything I know about quicksand is from movies or TV, so this portrayal may be completely inaccurate)

So let's look at some of the characteristics of quicksand (as I understand them) and how they apply to life:
First, it's disguised. At least from what I understand about quicksand, it looks relatively similar to the surrounding area. Both boredom and excessive stress can be disguised. We often don't recognize the effects or the symptoms. of them right away.

Second, from what I understand, it's kind of slow but strong. It's not like a pool of water where you immediately sink. You kind of find yourself getting sucked in slowly. Similarly, I think it's kind of rare to be 'suddenly' overly stressed or bored. Usually, stress builds, or boredom grows. The habits we create are strong, and they can lead to patterns of continued stress and boredom.

Next, the more you panic and try to get out, the more trouble you are in. Kinda like the old Chinese finger cuffs I had as a kid. I remember the old joke, "here, stick your fingers in here", and if you didn't understand how they worked, you'd be trying to escape all day. Sometimes, when we are stressed, we add to our stress by trying to eliminate it. Feelings of inadequacy and guilt can accompany the stress, making it worse. On the other hand, boredom can lead to boredom. At first you think "I don't have anything to do," and then you figure out something to fill up your time, but the more you do that thing, the less you want to do it, so you are even more bored!

Next, it's stronger than it appears, and eventually can kill you. If you get sucked in too deep, you won't be able to breath and will die. Lovely. Well, the influence of either stress or boredom can be very powerful.. It can lead you into self-destructive behaviors, and eventually kill you, even if only spiritually or emotionally. It is amazing what an influence these things can have on your ability to make good choices!

Finally, to get out, you need something strong and sturdy to grab on to. You always see in the movies that the person gets out of the quicksand by grabbing a rope or vine or even (in some silly cases) a snake. The point is, they had to have something they could grab on to. Something sturdy, with an anchor. In life, some of these things can be friends, values, goals, or many other things. When we are struggling, the most effective method of getting out, is grabbing someone's outstretched hand. We have to do our part, and hold on tight and pull, but there is always something (or someone) right there just waiting for us to grab on.

Food for thought: am I there to grab on to your friends and family when they struggle? Or do I just pass by on the other side, figuring that surely SOMEONE will go help?

Anyway, are we avoiding these quicksands? If we're already stuck, how do we get out? The answer is different for each of us.

2 comments:

Rhoda said...

Sometimes when you hold out an anchor for someone else the sand your stuck in, it doesn't seem so deep.

Tiffany McAlister said...

Don't worry...I've got on my "quicksand" shoes...so I can just wade out and save people. (I think your blog might be too serious for me...)