Thursday, February 4, 2010

Life Advisor

You know the old saying “you are your own worst critic”? In many ways, I agree completely with this. However, I have found one area that this doesn’t apply. It’s in the giving of advice.

We’ve all been there. I’m sure you can think of someone, right now, who could really use your advice. It might be financial, relationship, career, or any other kind of advice. You know that you don’t know everything about their situation, but you are close enough to this person to feel like you could really help them, if they would only ask. You are also probably a decent enough person to NOT barge in and force your advice on them. And it’s not even like you are trying to appear better or smarter than them. You just want to help that person be successful at whatever it is they need help with. You definitely aren’t trying to be judgmental.

Here’s the irony. Why is it that you can give that person great advice (If they would only ask!), but often, if you were to make an honest assessment of your own life, it would occur to you that you could use some help in that specific area yourself. Funny part is, you KNOW all about your situation, yet you can find more ways to help others without knowing their whole situation.

I don’t think it’s a hypocritical beam/mote situation, either (see Matthew 7:3-5). It’s more like the saying “can’t see the forest for the trees”. In our own lives, we are in the middle of everything. We are emotionally involved in everything. When it comes to our own lives, we can’t see the “better” path because one or more “other” paths are right in front of our faces. When we look at someone else’s life, it’s like we have the 10,000 foot view of things. We are not in the thick of their day-to-day struggles and decisions, so we can see that “better” path more clearly.

So here’s my idea. Since many of you out there could probably give me better advice and help in decision-making than I can give myself, I propose a swap of services. I could use a Life Advisor. I am willing to act in that same capacity in return. Any takers?

1 comment:

Rhoda said...

LOVE this post. It is so true, I could help loads of other people, but I suck at helping myself!