Sunday, December 20, 2009

Talents

I taught a Sunday School lesson about developing our talents. I asked what a talent is, and after a bit, someone defined it as a gift. Someone else said "it's something you have to bless and help others." I love the combination of these two answers. Later, someone else said you need to actively seek additional talents, especially where you might find weaknesses in your life.

I thought I'd take a few minutes to just talk about some of the talents of others that I see and admire in them.

First and foremost, my wife. There are volumes that could be written on her talents and abilities, so I'll try to keep this brief. I think first off, I am extremely impressed with her abilities with children. She can think of new tricks all the time to keep kids interested. They love and trust her. She also has miles of patience with them. I am so grateful that she gets to stay home and raise our children. She is so committed to providing them the best experiences she can. Something else I admire in her is her work ethic. She's always been a hard worker. Much more could be said on this topic, but I'll sum it up this way. Honestly, if as a teenager, you had asked me to describe characteristics of my perfect future wife, I don't think I could have even described a better person than her.

Some other talents that I have seen and admire in other people:
-genuine love and concern for others
-the ability to make everyone around you to feel loved and comfortable
-the ability to forgive
-devotion and loyalty, especially to that which is right
-friendship
-courage
-faith
-teaching
-learning
-persistence to complete a task

There are many more, but that's just a quick example of some things that I've noticed.

I'd just like to take a second and thank everyone out there for sharing their talents. You've changed lives. Funny thing is, there are some of you out there who will make the biggest impact without having a clue that you're even doing it.

So, thanks. And don't forget to share and develop yours. And find new ones.

No comments: