Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Something to Write About...

As some of you may have noticed, it has yet again been a long time since my last post. I've been thinking lately about wanting to write more often, but one of the problems I run into is knowing what to write about (another problem would be my procrastination problem I wrote about in my last post). This blog's purpose is to write about stuff I've been thinking about. But I realized that sometimes it goes the other way. You can come up with stuff to write about that causes you to think. So I decided to come up with something that will get the juices flowing. I actually kind of like "features" that other bloggers do. As a way to focus, direct, or motivate thought, I decided to try to come up with my own weekday features. Honestly, they may not last at all. But I like the idea, so here goes. The first "feature" I've come up with is "Typical Tuesday". (I like that alliteration, don't you?) What I mean here is that there are so many things worth writing about that kinda don't seem like they're worth writing about. Normal stuff that happens every day. Typical stuff. We come to expect it, or think about it a lot. Or just recognize that this is how life is most of the time. Routines are prevalent here. But really, it is significant to us. It means something, no matter how "ordinary" or "typical" it seems. It's important to us. It's important to me. And that's worth writing about.

I've been thinking lately about how much I love being home with my family. It's easy to understand why. Since I got married, I've spent a lot of time outside of work doing other stuff, like school, church callings, extra work, etc. Some stuff is kind of fun for me (such as choirs and I was even in a band for a little while). I have been so lucky to have so many opportunities like these. However, there is definitely something that all of these have had in common: time away from my family. I look back and recognize that there have been plenty of days when I got home after everyone was already in bed, and I'm up and gone before they get up in the morning.

Anyway, so lately, all I've had going on is my church calling as an 11-yr-old scout leader and primary teacher. We hold scouts every other week, so that's the only time I have to do anything during my family time. There are days when I work a little late. And I have lots of days when I go back into work after the kids are in bed and I've spent some time chatting with Rhoda. But I've had more time with my wife and kids lately than I think I've ever had in my entire married life.

Most of the times that I spend with my family, it's not like anything special is going on. It's not like there is always an event or specific thing that I'm home for. I'm just home. We do things like read books, play the Wii, and occasionally just sit and chat about things. My point is, it's not like these moments are just action-packed and always exciting, so the question that comes to my mind is, "Why do I enjoy it so much?" I guess it's because even ordinary things are extraordinary.

That's the point of a "Typical Tuesday" post. I think about things all the time. They are not usually what I would label as "profound" thoughts, but they are my thoughts. And just because they are ordinary thoughts, it doesn't mean I can't share them. I just want to share some of the ordinary experiences that I have that are extraordinary experiences if looked at in the right light.  That's what my "Typical Tuesday" is all about.

In reality, when I thought about this, I did have a specific ordinary thing I was going to post about, but this post is long enough already, so I'll save it for another "Typical Tuesday".

No comments: