Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Like House, Like Owner...

Have you ever been in someone's house and thought "yeah, this is exactly how I imagined their house to be"? I have. It's interesting that an inanimate object can "fit" a person so well. It almost seems to show the same personality. Yes, I'll admit it's probably because that person has decorated it to make it that way, but it's true, regardless of the reason.

I remember when we were putting our old house up for sale, our realtors did a great job helping us stage it. They had us remove stuff that basically showed our personality, which made it easier for buyers to see it as being potentially theirs. (It totally worked, by the way. We sold our house a lot faster than we were expecting!)

Anyway, I realized today that my house that I've lived in for the last 14 or 15 months is kind of like that with me, at least in one way. Only in my case, I didn't make it that way. It's just that way by itself.

So this house does something that no other house I've lived in before did. It's a small thing, but it's weird. It is not uncommon for me to go to turn a light on or off, and I notice that the switch plate jiggles a little, or if it's dark and I'm feeling for the switch, occasionally I'll bump the screw and notice that it is pretty loose. So I try to tighten them down whenever I notice this. It even sometimes happens with the same switch plates - the ones that I've already tightened down. Weird huh?

Anyway, so back to the original intent of this post, to tell you why I realized that I have at least one thing in common with my house. Yep, you guessed it:

We both occasionally have a screw loose.

Explains a lot, doesn't it?

3 comments:

Tiffany McAlister said...

Only ONE? ;)

mr. crabbs said...

Well, I like to think I only have one at a time. But, like the house, there are many light switch plates, and therefore many screws. It's unlikely that I'd discover them all at the same time.

Tiffany McAlister said...

Well played. :D