Monday, June 13, 2011

Catching Up

In many ways, I feel like one of the reasons I don't post on my blog very often is because there is too much to write about. There is just so much going on that it makes me want to not even start.

But, as we procrastinators always find out in the end, you eventually gotta do it anyway, so why put it off? At least that's what I've been saying for the last few months.

There's just something about looking at your blog and seeing this in the blog archive:
->2011 (1)
It's one thing to see that in January. Quite another in June.

So here goes. I have some ideas that will hopefully keep me going on this blog. Don't get me wrong, it's not like what I have to say is important. I just like reading what other people have to say, so I thought I'd allow others the same opportunity.

Probably the most notable thing that has happened since I last blogged is that my little brother has left on his mission. What? I didn't post about it? I don't think I've said a word about it on here. Shame on me. Well, I have watched him as he got his papers ready, sent them in, anticipated his call, opened his call, and then waited and waited to actually leave. That day finally came almost 2 weeks ago now. He's in the MTC, learning Spanish. He's headed to Mexico. For the particulars, you can catch his blog, Ukulately (because he likes to play the uke). My wonderful wife has agreed to update it while he is out there (provided she receives any information to post). :)

It isn't so much that I wanted to talk about where he's going or the nostalgia I feel as I've watched this whole process take place.

It's just plain and simply this:

I am proud of my brother.

He is truly a unique and remarkable young man. He is extraordinarily talented. And most of all, he is a good man as well. He cares about other people, and he doesn't hesitate to do what is right. He has truly been an inspiration to me. And not just with the mission, but with his life. I am honored to call him my brother.

I hope he works hard and also enjoys his mission. I hope he follows the mission rules to the letter. I hope he feels the comforting guidance of the Spirit. I know there will be times when he struggles, emotionally, spiritually, and maybe even physically, but I hope he knows where he can turn for help. I hope that I can be the supportive older brother that he needs while he's there, and beyond. I certainly could have done better up to this point.

So I'll write him. Maybe even a little more often than I've been updating my blog lately!

1 comment:

Tiffany McAlister said...

Well said...He IS a great kid. And I personally think he had a GREAT older brother to help him! 'Cause you're pretty awesome yourself! :D